Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Automation Frustration

When I mention computers, how do you feel? I bet you feel a chill, a little frustration, maybe a little confusion as well. It turns out my Automation of the Patch scanning software does not save the report correctly. Now its time to fix this problem and figure out what is going on. Another obstacle is that it is automated to run way early in the AM, after that follows a script which formats the output. I'll need to find a way to timestamp the date on the XML file to figure out if it is the most recent report or simply an outdated copy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

why aren't u looking into an application that does something similar?
why go through the pain of coding ???

Transparently said...

Good question, the problem lies in the automation itself. There is another program that does automation but is a lot harder to use. I managed to get it working before I left. Imagine that I had to let it recognize instead of hitting the "Yes" to overwrite the file, to press ALT-Y (which is the shortcut to the "Yes" button!) :/

Anonymous said...

interesting problems

is the other program also made in-house?

Transparently said...

Nope none! The main app which I created is huge for just a scripting program. What is surprising since the company size is not small, but they don't really create much support applications especially for this kind of scripting app :/ Lack of synergy!

Nomad said...

hehe tech-blog ftw! ;p
yeah it seems like a pain to work in an environment like that but i have faith in ur scripting skillz ;p
p.s: dont forget were going out this weekend ;p

Transparently said...

I got it :p thanks and I'll see ya soon!